Autistic kids face difficulties mainly in 3 areas, 1) Social communication, 2) using language as a mode of communication, 3) repetitive & stereotype behaviors.
The following are some of the major problems which I autistic kid face:-
- Delay in speech and language
- Lack of meaningful play with toys (For instance lining of toys and banging of toys)
- Difficulty in interacting with peers. This is the most common problem faced by autistic kids. Individuals with autism tend not to focus on human faces or voices.
- Obsession of toys, objects alphabets or number while other children of the same age see them as a hobby.
- Hyper activity, it is a sign of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Children with ADHD are often able to concentrate on activities they enjoy. But no matter how hard they try, they have trouble maintaining focus when the task at hand is boring or repetitive.
- Poor awareness of people & places.
- Sleep disturbance. Around 80% of children suffering from ASD have Sleep problems. Studies are underway in children with ASD evaluating levels of hormones such as melatonin and other chemicals released by the brain known to affect sleep. Behavioural issues such as poor sleep hygiene and limit-setting problems can contribute to insomnia.
- Reduce eye gaze, joint attention & social play.
- Inflexibility to change.
- Difficulty using nonverbal communication & difficulty in understanding the nonverbal gestures.
- Sensory processing difficulties
- Auditory processing delay.
- Difficulty in understanding abstract needs.
- Difficulty in understanding jokes, emotions and empathies.
- Stereotypic behaviours include hand flapping, finger wiggling, hand fidgeting etc.
- Inappropriate and unwanted emotional outburst.
- Delayed response to name call.