Autism refers to a broad range of conditions characterised by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviours, speech and non-verbal communications. Diagnosing children with autism during very young age facing challenges and difficulties for communication. Parents of such children play an important role in their life. They are the first persons who point out the problems and find suitable interventions.
Here, are the few steps where the parents can get supported:
- Acknowledge the problems and recognise challenges faced.
- Get proper information about ASD.
- Know how ASD impacts child and his or behaviours.
- Aware about the best ways for communicating with child.
- Manage his or her behaviour problems.
- Provide situations to get more interacted with society or social life.
The chances of a child’s success in learning new skills and correcting undesired behaviours are highly involved in their educational program. Thus inorder to get proper pathways parents need specialised trainings and develop skills related to autism and how it influences their child’s life. Parents also need to be familiar with special education law and regulations , need and available services and how to negotiate on behalf of their child.